Thursday, May 03, 2007

The Ecoclean Challenge

I've seen a lot and heard a lot about all these home made cleaners. I think I'm going to put them to the test. Normally I use Mr. Clean concentrate diluted with water in a spray bottle. I use this everywhere. Now I think I'm going to try 1 part white vinegar with 1 part water. I will probably add just a pinch of lemon juice concentrate for that fresh smell. Then again, who wants their toilet smelling like lemons? Granted its better than what toilets usually smell like. I would love to use just diluteted bleach but I'm allergic to it and it's fumes.
A long, long time ago in the land of filth (aka my muther's house) I got sick of living upstairs with the mess so I decided to clean out a room in the basement and move there. Easier said than done. Once I did get the boxes of crap moved out I still had to contend with a cement floor covered in kitty mess. She had a cat that was always sick, maybe that was because she never cleaned up after him? Anyway, I tried one cleaner after another and being the dumb teenager I was thought, "Well, if this one sort of works and that one sort of works if I combine them then they will really work." The result: a clean cement floor and chemical burns on skin and lungs. But at least I had a place to live that was clean and out of the way. Until I realized that winter in basements with no heat are COLD. Luckily I can leave all the stupidness behind because I am now older; therefore, wiser. Ok, you can quit laughing hysterically, maybe that was a bit of an overstatement but at least now I know enough to never mix commercial cleaning products.
The criteria for the tests will be:
1. Does it work as well, better or worse than the commercial stuff.
2. Does it take more, less or about the same elbow grease.
3. Is it really that much cheaper.
4. Is it worth switching permanantly.
I will post the results of the 'Ecoclean Challenge' once they are finished.
Sidenote to Catherine- I think we watched the same episode. I can even understand what they are saying now!
">Link


No comments: