Monday, July 02, 2007

Right now Mike and I are struggling with a very sad decision. We have come to the realization that we are not good parents. At least to our dogs. We are too preoccupied with Gryffin to give them the attention they need and deserve. Gryffin just can't seem to understand that just because the dogs are bigger than he is he still can't push and jump on them and that dogs do not play like little boys. Although, Mojo did look (and even tolerate for a few moments) cute in the hat Gryffin put him in last night.
Mojo is of course exempt from this as the only attention he demands is an occasional fritch behind the ear and to be left alone the rest of the time. He is old and tired.
Java on the other hand is full of energy and always wants to climb in your lap. At 80 pounds that is not an option. He also sheds, constantly and terribly. I dust and vacuum and not an hour later it looks like I haven't done it in a week. Since Mojo is so old, Java's level of assertiveness has risen quite a bit. This concerns us.
We have decided that we must find a good home for Java. Mojo will stay until he decides to leave us. Everyday I feel guilty about not having the time to devote to them as I used to but priorities have changed. I will feel guilty when Java leaves but that guilt will subside knowing that he has found a good home. Which brings us to the most difficult part of this situation, finding a good home for him. I will not let just anyone take him. He is a good dog, happy and playful with a very unusual personality. We have had him since he was 8 weeks old and known him since he was born. I do not take this lightly.
It just makes me so sad to know that I can't do it anymore, that I have failed as a doggy mom.

1 comment:

cdorsey said...

This list seems to be a growing list lately. It is the worst feeling in the world. My Junebug is our oldest dog. She has gotten semi-aggressive with other neighborhood dogs and with our own. She sheds PROFUSELY! It is a nightmare. I have to vacuum daily. It is really quite gross. At present, I have left her with my two college kids in their rent house because they have a HUGE and SHADED and quite lovely fenced backyard. It is heartbreaking. Excuse me while I get some tissues.

Catherine