Wednesday, March 29, 2006

9 years...

Nine years ago my life changed dramatically. I was to be married to Chris. The BIG wedding was planned, the ballroom and caterer ready, the honeymoon to Mexico booked. I had the dress that would make me look like a dollop of whipped cream waddling down the isle. I had the flowers ordered. I had all the RSVP's back and Thank You notes ready to be filled in. I had everything. Everything but true love. Or so I thought...
My good friend Mike took me out for one last night on the town. That night he told me of his feelings for me. He thought I would be too drunk to remember, but I did. The next morning I woke up, the fuzziness cleared from my head- and from my heart. I realized that I too had feelings for him. Feelings stronger than I had for the man I was to marry the next week. I did the hardest thing I have ever had to do in my life and called off the wedding. A decision I have NEVER regretted even though it put me in a heap of financial trouble as most of the wedding expenses had been put on my credit card until after the honeymoon when Chris's parents were to pay it off.
Mike helped me through this difficult time, made even more difficult when you realize that Chris, Mike and I all worked within several feet of eachother. Mike supported and encouraged me, which was something I was not used to. He made me make my own decisions and learn to stand on my own. He made me see that I was stronger than I realized. He helped me to find out who I was and who I wanted to be.
I thank God for him every day...

No comments: