Friday, May 05, 2006

I did it! I did it!

I made tortillas- from scratch! Did a pretty good job too, Gryffin ate 1/2 one all by himself. I ate the other 1/2 and it was GOOOOOOOOD. I have 7 left for tonights Cinco de Mayo inspired dinner. I'm hoping a couple will be left for sopapillas since I picked up some cinnamon ice cream on my walk with Gryffin today.
The only other thing I can say about this recipe is that it is super easy. Even my Dad could do it, and not just because it calls for a cast iron skillet!

Flour tortillas

4 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups warm water


1. In a large mixing bowl, combine all the ingredients and 1/2 the water. Mix together with your hands and continue adding water into the dough until it forms a solid ball, but is not too sticky.
2. If necessary, add additional flour or water as needed.
3. Knead the dough on a floured board for 5 minutes.
4. Cut the dough into 8 equal portions.
5. Roll each piece into a ball and place on a lightly floured surface, cover with a damp towel and let rise for 30 minutes.
6. Heat cast iron skillet to medium heat.
7. Roll out dough to 1/8" thickness.
8. Place one round in skillet and cook each side for about 30 seconds. Take care that the skillet is not too hot or they will scorch.

They keep in the refrigerator for 2 weeks or 6 months in the freezer.

No comments: