Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Weaning and wailing...

There was a time when I never thought my son would ever take a sippee. He wanted me and only me. Luckiy, those days are history! He only gets breastfed before bed at night and during his nighttime feedings. Yes, he is still waking up at least twice a night wanting 'nummies'. Soon this will be coming to an end too. My feelings are mixed. I love the special moments we have during feedings, thats about the only time he is not squirming around wanting to get into stuff. But my body is breaking down. The drain of nutrients and calcium has taken a toll. Breastfeeding was not easy for me but my son gave me no choice as he refused a bottle from birth. I had just about every problem you could think of- except for lack of milk.
This Friday we are going to stop the before bed 'nummies' and replace one feeding a week with a sippee. I REALLY hope this works. The goal is to have him weaned by the time we go on vacation.
I will miss breastfeeding, the closeness and comfort it provides to my son and I and oh yeah- not having to watch what I eat, when I eat and how much I eat. No more piggee and on to the sippee!

No comments: