Saturday, February 25, 2006

Notches in the bedposts...


My Dad doesn't speak of his childhood too much. So when he does I listen. The one thing that has been a constant theme is something his father told him, 'Take care of what you have or you won't ever have any better'. This has stuck with me. Which is why I sometimes have a hard time having two big dogs and a very strong little baby boy. A few years ago my husband bought me a dining room table and chairs for Christmas. It was new and beautiful and perfect, right up until the moment our youngest dog decided the chairs were chew toys. Yes, I cried. Silly, I know. Then I decided that from then on anything that came into our home was to be pre-distressed so I wouldn't have to cry over something that couldn't cry over me. This rule had to be broken when it came to picking out a crib for our son. We chose a beautiful cherry one that converts from a crib to a toddler bed and then to a full size bed. It was new and beautiful and perfect, right up until the moment our son decided it was a chew toy. Yes, again I cried. Then I decided that he will be the one that will have to explain to his significant other why there are soooo many notches on his bedposts! And that I find comfort and a few laughs in.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I even remember the occasion of that quote! Dad was washing his OLD car ( 49 Hudson as I recall) that had been wrecked but remained his ONLY means of transport. Being old enough wonder about such a thing and young enough to ask "why would you ever wash a wrecked car dad?" AND it wasn't just a rinse off - full detail job. In tribute to that occasion about once a year I take the old Scout for a full bath and remember . . .