Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Cabbage, who knew?

Last night I tried another new recipe. I'm surprised I got it right because Mike and I have been suffering from this weird type of flu. We just had chills and aches and pains. The aches and pains were so bad it was painful to even think about moving. Mike is over it, I'm on the end of it and Thanks to God, Gryffin hasn't gotten it. Anyway, I thought I would post the recipe, mostly for my Dad, because it contains the Holy Trinity of his cooking- onions, garlic and potatoes.

Keilbasa & Cabbage
4 slices bacon
2 T sugar
1 onion, chopped
2 tsp garlic, minced
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp season salt
1 medium head cabbage, sliced
1 lb Polish Keilbasa, sliced thick

In a large deep skillet fry the bacon over medium high heat until browned. Remove from pan, reserving drippings, and place on paper towels to drain.
Stir water, sugar, onions, garlic, red pepper flakes and seasoned salt into drippings. Add cabbage and stir to coat. Cover and cook on low for about 10 minutes.
Add the kielbasa. Cook covered for another 10-15 minutes. Serve hot and crumble bacon over the top.
I served this with roasted potatoes. Just chop some taters into bite size pieces and place in a zip-top bag. Drizzle with olive oil, season salt and crushed red pepper flakes. Shake the bag to coat every piece and pour onto a baking sheet. Bake in a 425 degree oven until tender.
I think this meal for 6 cost about $4 or $5 total! Easy, cheap and yummy- that's my Holy Trinity of cooking!

No comments: