Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Just for poops, giggles and hopefully savings.

I think Friday when I go to the grocery armed with my list I'm going to do a little bit more research. You see, I don't like what we have been spending on groceries. About $75 a week. Now, thats not too bad when you figure in a bottle of wine and some snackies but... Every week I make a menu which I use to make my grocery list. My grocery list is, well.. a little detailed.


When I need something I just highlight it, or highlight the blank line and write it in. This list is in the same order as the grocery store isles. If I don't need something in an isle I don't go down it. Usually, on a weekday using the self-checkout (I love those!) I can get the shopping done in 30 minutes or less. When I make my menu for next week I'm going to try and squeeze some 'blood from a turnip', in my opinion thats all you should do with turnips- YUK! I'm going to challenge myself to only spend about $8 to feed us per day, or $56 a week. This shouldn't be too hard considering Mike's breakfast of granola bars, chicken breasts, ground beef and pork are all bought at Sam's once a month and aren't figured in to the weekly grocery budget. Although, I'm not willing to cut my weekly bottle of wine. I drink the cheap stuff, less than $4 a bottle. But its worth a lot more than that to sit in a bubble bath with a glass of wine and a good book a few nights a week. I'll give it a try and give you an update.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good luck! ;) I wish that our grocery bill was only $75 a week! Let me know how it goes. :)