Saturday, January 13, 2007

Campbell's, you suck.

Tonight I made Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Soup. I'm not one for tomato soup. I think because canned is too sweet. This one I could eat and eat and eat and lick the bowl when I'm done. It was so good I had to call my Dad and make him jealous. Here is the recipe:
1 tsp olive oil
1 onion, copped
2 cloves garlic, minced
3/4-1 jar of roasted red peppers, chopped
28 oz can of chopped tomatoes
2 tsp dried thyme
2 tsp paprika
pinch of sugar
6 cups chicken broth
pinch cayenne
large can of tomato paste
1/4 cup fat free 1/2 & 1/2
sour cream

In a soup pot soften the onion and garlic in the olive oil, about 5 minutes. Stir in tomato, red peppers, thyme, paprika and sugar. Cook over medium heat until all the tomato juices have evaporated. Stir in chicken broth and cayenne. Bring to a boil and simmer for about 20 minutes. Strain and reserve liquid. Place solids in a blender or food processor until fairly smooth. Add puree back to broth. Return to heat and add the 1/2 & 1/2 and tomato paste, stir and let heat through. Serve with a dollop of sour cream.

It sounds like a lot but it was really easy. The original recipe called for stewing the tomatoes and roasting the peppers and making a roux to thicken. Yeah right. Maybe if my middle name were Martha and I was a felon. I found the jarred peppers, canned tomatoes and 1/2 & 1/2 just fine. I think it would also be good with some corn, rice, maybe some chicken or bacon. Since there was enough leftovers for lunch tomorrow and some to freeze I will have to try it.

No comments: