Thursday, January 29, 2009

Surprise!

With no Day Out Tuesday and no karate class yesterday, Gryffin was getting a little restless. (Understatement of the year) I give my kid credit, when he's hit with boredom he's also hit with creativity. He came up with the idea of throwing Mike a surprise party, with cake and streamers and sign. Damn, my kid is brilliant. I knew Mike could really use a good cheering up after having a few rough days at work, so it was party time!
Gryffin helped me bake the cake, crumble it up into the icing and stir into a stiff mess where we scooped it with a melon baller and froze it. Then we melted some chocolate and dipped the cake balls in. We made a lovely, delicious mess. Mmmm, red velvet cake with cream cheese frosting, covered in white chocolate. Gryffin also picked up all of his toys to make the house 'nice for Daddy' and he helped me hang the streamers and drew a volcano on a piece of paper emblazoned with the words, 'We Love You'. When Mike pulled in the drive, which he had gotten up at 4am to shovel, Gryffin and I hid behind a chair waiting. When he opened the door, we jumped up and yelled (of all the original things) Surprise! I really don't know who had the biggest smile, Gryffin for pulling it off, Mike for feeling so much love it melted some snow, or me being a witness to the wonder of my son and husband, and being the luckiest woman on the planet.

No comments: