Tonight's dinner was blackened Tilapia, roasted potatoes with chive and steamed carrots. I cook a lot, but really don't make fish very often. Mostly because my favorite way to have fish is fried, but when I found this recipe it looked so good. It was too. I changed several things from the original recipe like not using lemon juice or celery salt and didn't use as much oil or serve on white bread with the remaining oil poured over. Ewww. This is what I did:
- 3 tablespoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crush this in your had to release the oil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme, crush to release the oil
- 2 teaspoons Kosher salt
- 5 Tilapia fillets
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- In a small bowl mix all of the spices together.
- Coat both sides of the fish with the spice mixture, rubbing it in to the fish.
- Let sit at room temp for no more than 30 minutes, but at least 15 so that the spices soak in.
- In a heavy skillet, heat the oil until almost smoking and carefully add fish.
Next time, I'm going to serve it over some Cajun seasoned rice. Hey, that sounds like an awesome meal for Mardi Gras!