Saturday, February 13, 2010

Penny Popcorn

Gryffin and I love popcorn.  Let's face it, it is the perfect snack.  It can be salty or sweet and its not that bad for you.  Plus, you can eat a ton since it has very few calories.  We've been out of those handy dandy little single serving microwave packs with uber amounts of butter for a while.  The other day while at Sam's I looked into getting more but that stuff is expensive.  That's when I remembered that you can make microwave popcorn in a brown paper lunch sack.  I had never tried it before but knew I had a recipe for it somewhere.
www.allrecipes.com to the rescue!  If you've never visited this mecca of deliciousness, you should.  All of their recipes are rated by the users.  I have yet to be led astray and don't attempt anything under 4 stars.  This is where I had the popcorn recipe stocked away.

Ingredients

  • 1/2 cup unpopped popcorn
  • 1 teaspoon vegetable oil (I used canola)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste

Directions

In a cup or small bowl, mix together the unpopped popcorn and oil. Pour the coated corn into a brown paper lunch sack, and sprinkle in the salt. Fold the top of the bag over twice to seal in the ingredients.
Cook in the microwave at full power for 2 1/2 to 3 minutes, or until you hear pauses of about 2 seconds between pops. Carefully open the bag to avoid steam, and pour into a serving bowl.  
Before I poured the fluffy goodness out into a bowl I added a couple pats of real butter and shook it up to melt and coat.  It worked beautifully!  Real butter popcorn tastes so much better than the fake stuff. 
Now there were quite a few unpopped kernels but you get that with any popcorn and there weren't enough to make it non cost effective. 
I vow never to buy the gross, cancer causing, synthetic flavored, has to use the word butter in parenthesis stuff again!

No comments: